The park has a beach on one of Virginia’s most popular lakes, a fishing pond accessible to children and the disabled, a bathhouse-concessions complex and a boat launch. Overnight stays are made possible by camping, six camping cabins, four yurts, two six-bedroom lodges and 10 two-bedroom cabins. Seven cabins and the lodges have views of the lake. With more than 15 miles of trails, the park offers many hiking, biking and horseback riding options. Visitor center exhibits trace the history of the area’s gold mining and highlight the park’s natural features. Nature and gold panning programs are popular, and the park offers guided tours of the Goodwin Gold Mine.
Location: 6800 Lawyers Rd, Spotsylvania, VA 22551 (25 miles southwest of Fredericksburg)
- 7 am to dusk
- The park office is open daily from 8 am to 4:30 pm
- The visitor center is closed at this time
Cost: Daily – $7, Weekends – $10 (April – October), *Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day are the holidays charged weekend rates.
Remember that homeschoolers get free admission to VA State Parks with a valid ID or NOI.
Additional fees for guarded swimming. Guarded swimming will not be offered for the 2021 season.
Information: Day-use parking areas near the beach and picnic areas fill up rapidly when the summer weather is nice on weekends and holidays. When this happens, park staff close the park road to additional traffic until enough parking spots have been vacated. Park closure may remain in effect until 4 p.m.
- There are two playgrounds right next to the beach. One is for older kids and the other for younger.
- There are bathrooms near the beach with nice showers.
- There are stairs heading from the parking lot to the beach. There’s also a ramp on either side.
- The beach does not allow shelters. You can bring chairs and umbrellas onto the beach. Shelters can be used outside of the beach.
- The park does not offer boat or equipment rentals of any kind.
- Campsites, yurts, camping cabins, cabins and lodges are available for rent.
- The snack bar is open Memorial Day – Labor Day.
- Between the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day, guarded beach swimming is available for a fee. A wristband can be purchased at the snack bar. You need a wristband even if you are going onto the beach but not swimming.
- Weekday Swimming: Ages 3-12, $3 / 13 & up, $4
- Weekend Swimming: Ages 3-12, $4/ 13 & up, $5
- Information about swimming coupon books can be found HERE.
- The park offers a variety of events and classes. You can find more information about them HERE.
Fishing: Lake Anna is well-known for its largemouth bass, crappie, bream.
- A valid Virginia fishing license is required.
- A 2-acre fishing pond designed for children and disabled persons only is located near the visitor center.
Trails: The park has 11 trails totaling more than 15 miles. All are for hiking with 12 miles designated as shared, multiple-use trails for hiking, biking and horseback riding. All trails also allow travel in both directions. Click HERE for a trail guide. Click HERE for an Old Pond Trail guide. The Old Pond Trail is paved and stroller friendly. Click HERE for a self-guided interpretive hike for Railroad Ford Trail. When the visitor’s center is open, there are maps for each of the other trails.
Website: Lake Anna
Activities: Lots of activities are happening Memorial Day weekend. Click HERE for more information. These activities are free, but you must register beforehand.
We have been to Lake Anna several times with our most recent visit being the beginning of June 2021. The kids love swimming and playing in the lake. Our kids have also been several times to the lake with friends for boating and other water activities.
We are looking forward to checking out several of the trails at Lake Anna.